"You've got to get up every morning with a smile on your face and show the world all the love in your heart..." -Carole King

Saturday, January 18, 2014

DIY Bunting

EASY DIY BUNTING





Valentine's Day Bunting

A few years ago I read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and I started to think about what kind of things I enjoy.  The hobby that made me happy was crafting so I began this blog and have done many projects since then.  

I found a YouTube channel called ThreadBanger and I loved their tutorials and craft ideas.  This group of people is no longer making videos together but I do follow Meg Allan Cole, one of the women from this group and she has some great videos.  One of her tutorials from ThreadBanger is about making a Mother's Day banner.  Using the instructions in the video I created my first banner and have been addicted ever since.  Every holiday needs a banner!  My sister's husband recently left for basic training and we found some military-themed fabric and made one to celebrate his going away.  

Here is the tutorial that I used (it starts about about 42 seconds):


My tips:

  • I use a cereal box to make the triangle template - not expensive card stock 
  • I use double fold bias tape (you don't have to iron it in half)
  • Before I bought a sewing machine I would use Stitch Witchery fusible iron on tape to connect the sides of each flag and to attach it to the bias tape


On the top green bunting I cross stitched "Happy Birthday Adam" for my fiance's birthday and on the Valentine's Day bunting I stitched a heart with our initials.  I liked them so much that now I hang them over my bead.





  



Ladybug Bunting for a baby shower






For an ice cream-themed party






Skeleton bunting for a Day of the Dead party




3 comments:

  1. I love your festive banners!

    Thanks for joining us for Friendship Friday - and thanks for being the first to comment on Magellan's first review. You made his day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet buntings! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete